Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Week 68 - Move to Trujillo by the coast, goodbye to friends in Los Banos





Buenos Dias!

This has been a real surprising week here in Trujillo. Sunday morning on our way to breakfast I got a call from President Marble asking me to come down to Trujillo. I am now his new personal secretary. 

It was a sad early good bye to los Baños del Inca, Maria and Coringo, the ward, and all of our investigators. After 3 transfers and just a little over 4 months we finally had three people who had set their baptismal dates and were going to be baptized in the next 3 weeks. Well Sunday, whether there were baptisms waiting or not, I had to pack my bag and say my goodbyes. I had done my part and I guess it was time to move on and leave these wonderful people of Baños in the hands of Elder Zapatiel and his new companion. The Lord has a plan for the progress of everything. 

I am now here in Primavera near the center of downtown Trujillo. We share a room, ward and office between 4 missionaries. We each have a special job as secretaries. Right now I am receiving training from Elder Hiskey (the former personal secretary) in order to be his replacement in all the logistics and coordination of that is visas, legal documents, travels, the president´s calendar, and all of his personal errands. I had to officially be declared as a legal representative of the Church here in La Libertad and I even have a smartphone (the only elder in Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia to have one). Hahaha. I now spend from 9-5 every day in the office and in immigration dealing with the logistics of the mission followed by proselyting here in Primavera from 5-9. It is way different but it is also lots of fun being here in the office with the 3 other secretaries. So far it is not too stressful but I am sure that will pick up a little bit when my Trainer Elder Hiskey heads off to his new area. It is lots of fun and real exciting to be here in a new area and I know those who I left behind in Baños the Lord will take care of. 

This week a scripture that I have been thinking about a lot as I begin my work in the office is found in Alma 37:6 it says...

"6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.
7 And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls."

This is a scripture from the Book of Mormon that teaches about the importance of all of the little things we do and that happen in our lives. If we work hard and develop the little habits, it will make all the difference and I think that is the key to my new assignment as well. If I work hard and stay focused on organizing all of the little things, "great things [will be] brought to pass ".

Well this week has been a big mix of tears and excitement but the Mission continues and all is happy and well here in Peru. 

Hasta Luego!

Elder Jack Vassau














No comments:

Post a Comment