Monday, January 2, 2017

Week 4 - Learning the ropes in Esperanza! What did they say to me?

Week 4 in Trujillo - Esperanza now!

It has been around 2 weeks since I have been able to really email so I will start by talking a bit about Christmas in the CCM which was very fun. We had two days full of devotionals both broadcast and local in addition to a devotional where all we did was sing Christmas music, WHICH I ABSOLUTELY LOVE. It is not quite the same in Spanish but it was still really fun. We also had a little 45 minute party with food... so that was nice. On Tuesday I entered the mission field. We left the ccm at 2 am that morning and I arrived at the tiny Trujillo airport around 10 am. We met up with the mission president and the assistants and had a nice morning of introduction to the mission field. 

After lunch and a nice nap I got to meet my trainer Elder Barboza. He is awesome. He is from Lima and does not speak any English, but we are doing just fine only communicating in Spanish. He is 21 and has been in Esperanza for 7  months (his whole mission). The Peruvians all make fun of me for being pituco (rich) because i have three quads... as in my scriptures... it is pretty funny.  It is a little difficult with no English in my life, but my Spanish is already so much better. I have been swapping back and forth with him while we teach our lessons and it is great. My only problem is understanding some of our investigadores that do not speak super clearly so sometimes I will ask questions and will have no clue what there respond was... Oh well... that is why we have companions. 

My area is a part of Trujillo called Esperanza, specifically the area of Jordan within Esperanza. It is very humble here... and very dusty... basically sand everywhere...and dogs (2-3 stray dogs on every street). HAHA. All the houses are made of brick and are basically just built one ontop of the other. The nicer houses are a little more outfitted with walling and flooring, but some of the more humble do not have rooms or often times roofs.  All the houses are made of brick and are basically just built one on top of the other. The nicer houses are a little more outfitted with walling and flooring, but some of the more humble do not have rooms or often times roofs. All the houses are made of brick and are basically just built one on top of the other. The nicer houses are a little more outfitted with walling and flooring, but some of the more humble do not have rooms or often times roofs. 

Since I have been here we have taught over 15 lessons and I have already had one investigator accept my invitation for baptism on the 14th of this month. IT IS AWESOME. She is an elderly lady Hermana Zoilla and is just the sweetest thing. She loves to pray and basically everything we teach her is just a formality because she is so ready to baptized.

New years eve here was crazy... we basically did not sleep because of the firework show... literally a humongous firework show on every street... everywhere you look. These are not the little fourth of July fireworks either, these are the big boys. It was a bit overwhelming and really really loud but so much fun. The next day was a bit rough because of thr lack of sleep with the fireworks and such but there were still plenty of people who wanted to hear about the Gospel. Esperanza is great. 

Everything is Chevre and Bacan hope all is well there.  Talk to you next week.


Elder Jack Vassau

BTW - I do not have anyone's emails so they have to initiate the emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment